Author Topic: Obama Backs Gay Marriage  (Read 237 times)

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
  • The green eyed monster strikes the Idol pics!
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
Obama Backs Gay Marriage
« on: May 09, 2012, 18:52 »
WASHINGTON -- In a nod to a dramatic shift in public opinion, Barack Obama on Wednesday became the first sitting president to announce his support for same-sex marriage.

In a sit-down interview with ABC's Robin Roberts, Obama completed what has been a markedly long and oft-mocked evolution on the matter.

Full article here

I'm glad to see the president finally coming out in full support for gay marriage. Everyone should have the right to marry; it doesn't matter if it's with same sex couples or not. Not to mention the shades of gray. What of rights for people who are physically born outside the gender binary? Are they not allowed to marry at all, because they weren't born into a gender allowed to marry? Not everything is black and white; I fully support the president in this decision, and hope that those who brought forth that terrible amendment in NC will quickly see the error of their ways and overturn it as quickly as possible.
Beware what hides in the Sunflower field

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline Onion

• Oniontastic!
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 3
  • Oniontastic! (i like girls that love Onions <3)
    • View Profile
    • Mitsuki no Sekai
  • Nickname: Onion
Re: Obama Backs Gay Marriage
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 19:49 »
This shouldn't even be an issue... The pope has too much power.

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 08:40 »
If only it could be that way. Unfortunately, as much as there are pulls for separation of church and state, a lot of laws in place were written with respect to the religious views of the few in power over the views of the many who elected them.

Offline Cirno

• Scissors Queen
  • Baka Legend
  • Thanks 3
  • That photo must go!
    • View Profile
  • Nickname: Cirno
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 08:55 »
Alright, Mr. President! For this, I salute you!

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 19:21 »
A response from of sorts from the Romney camp.

WASHINGTON -- Mitt Romney made a surprise appearance on Fox host Brian Kilmeade's radio show Thursday morning to respond to a lengthy Washington Post story on his time as a prep-school prankster and occasional bully of closeted gay students.

Something about this seems off to me. I don't think it would be an issue if he didn't know his victims were gay. I'm pretty sure he knew, even back then, the sexual orientations of his victims. It wouldn't be as much an issue for him otherwise, not to mention he's still running on an anti-LGBT marriage platform. Amazing how a couple dumb things we do in our youth can come back to bite us in the rear, isn't it?

Offline Onion

• Oniontastic!
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 3
  • Oniontastic! (i like girls that love Onions <3)
    • View Profile
    • Mitsuki no Sekai
  • Nickname: Onion
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 20:41 »
Tldr
How in the world did this even get outed? People dont even care about the presidency, they just want as much dirt on people as they can get...

Offline Zen

• Knowledge Connoisseur
  • Baka Hero
  • Thanks 4
  • Ear licking good!
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Perspectives Photography
  • Nickname: Zensunni
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 23:27 »
Yes, everyone has "youthful indiscressions" in their past. However, they generally say quite a bit about the person...

Think about it, most of the "really nice guys" you knew way back when still qualify for the tag today.

The real jackasses? The same can be said about them!
Now officially open: The Zen of ... blog! - check it out!

"Falling isn't flying. It's the landing that makes all the difference." - Immortal by Brad Yoder

"let's be lonely all together, that could be lovely, it would be better" - Famous by Brad Yoder

With a normal girl, you worship the ground she walks on. A Tsundere walks on the ground you worship!

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 07:45 »
I look at it like this: if Romney wanted to issue a real apology for his past, he go against the ideology of his party and support gay marriage, and not just by saying he will, but by actually pushing for policies to back that up. Now, if he drops the bigotry and does that, I'll believe him.

Offline Cirno

• Scissors Queen
  • Baka Legend
  • Thanks 3
  • That photo must go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 07:56 »
Wow, Romney is a bigot and a jerk. The scary part is that there are people out there who want him to be president...

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 02:47 »
That is rather scary, isn't it? Well, people will be people. If there are those out there who fear LGBT individuals, then we'll just have to keep fighting for our rights. :serious business:

Offline MaiRie

• Tonde Staff
  • Thanks 1
    • View Profile
    • Mahou no Fairy Mirumo de Pon
  • Nickname: Mai
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 18:00 »
This surprised me.

Well, I'm a Christian and I know it's not in the bible about the lesbian/gay marriage but this is something I can't really imagine about.

These past few days, men and women's marriage percentage are decreasing. It seems like they are more preferred with "live in" and having kids and just break up when they want. lol

And then, I'll hear a news about gay/lesbian marriage which has more people who wants to do it x.x

Besides, how things would be? If they want to get marry, I don't want them to do it in Church. I'm against it. No way. Do it in other religion marriage but not in Church. If they want, they can marry in City Hall by a mayor or an aty, with that, there will be no issues in any religion about it.

If Pre. Obama allowed it how about the religions? XD

Besides, I'm afraid if these things would encourage, influence teenaged boys and girls to be a gay and lesbian than being just the way they are. No way! Most of gays are hand some. I'm afraid handsome guy generations will disappear soon :/

I know it's a good idea for some. Well, as long as there's no religion would be affected :D
Yeah, human rights.

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 19:14 »
The freedom to marry doesn't mean it has to be done in a church. I'm sure there are many churches that would never allow a gay couple to wed in their halls. On the other hand, I'm sure there are some out there that would allow it. It depends on who is running the particular church, but I believe that's something that should be decided by those running the church, not the government.

As far as people being encouraged to be gay, I doubt that's going to be an issue. People are going to be who they are; it's a matter of feeling comfortable enough to come out, rather than try to hide one's identity for fear of backlash from others, an ordeal I understand all too well.
I still haven't told my mother I'm bigender; she's not the tolerant type when it comes to LGBT individuals.

Offline Cirno

• Scissors Queen
  • Baka Legend
  • Thanks 3
  • That photo must go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 07:26 »
I'm sure they can get court weddings, if local churches won't accept them. I don't think anyone is forcing religious institutions to accept it.

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 22:07 »
I know I wouldn't want to force churches to change. Church and state are supposed to be kept separate, after all. Just as the church is not supposed to push their ideology through government, government can't push their ideology through church.

Offline Zen

• Knowledge Connoisseur
  • Baka Hero
  • Thanks 4
  • Ear licking good!
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Perspectives Photography
  • Nickname: Zensunni
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 12:17 »
A really easy fix for this is to actually do the separation of church and state thing right! Why is it that ministers, priests, rabbis, etc... are able to perform legal marriages in the first place? Why do the religious/personal vows have to be confounded with the legal agreement to combine the households of two individuals? The government should be concerned with the contract between two people. The church should be concerned with the spiritual/religious implications of those individuals choosing to marry according to the rules set forth by their religion. The two are different things.

So, to solve the problem of who can marry whom, why not make marriage a purely religious thing. If you want to get married, make vows to love, honor, and, depending on the backwardness of the religion, obey, that is your personal business with that church. If you want to have your lands and properties legally combined in the eyes of the government, sign a contract giving you the rights a privileges that marriage imparts, such as inheritance, joint property, joint income tax filing, hospital visitation, making decisions about medical care if one of the couple is disabled, etc... Call it a Civil Union or a Domestic Partnership Contract, or whatever, but just don't call it marriage! That will satisfy the "keep marriage between a man and a woman" crowd. Marriage would be a religious term, used to indicate the acceptance by the couple of the marriage rites of that particular sect, while, according to the government, all that matters is that you have a legal domestic partnership contract. If you don't want a church wedding, you could just have a big party with your friends and a person you know and trust, like a family friend or favorite uncle or something, presenting the couple and letting them make their nonreligious vows to each other, but that would be window dressing, not part of the legal process, and so would a church wedding.

Keep the religious and legal separate! The County Clerk doesn't preach in church on Sundays, so why does a Minister sign binding legal documents combining two households under the laws of the United States of America?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 12:20 by zensunni »
Now officially open: The Zen of ... blog! - check it out!

"Falling isn't flying. It's the landing that makes all the difference." - Immortal by Brad Yoder

"let's be lonely all together, that could be lovely, it would be better" - Famous by Brad Yoder

With a normal girl, you worship the ground she walks on. A Tsundere walks on the ground you worship!