Author Topic: Obama Backs Gay Marriage  (Read 239 times)

Offline Zen

• Knowledge Connoisseur
  • Baka Hero
  • Thanks 4
  • Ear licking good!
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Perspectives Photography
  • Nickname: Zensunni
Re: Obama Backs Gay Marriage
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 11:12 »
Hm, fascinating. Well, even then, the problem with the bigots out there is that they are so pressed for their ideas to be law that even if you change the name, they don't want gays and lesbians to have any of the rights they have, either. I believe the law they just passed in North Carolina even bans Civil Unions between gays and lesbians.
Yes, bigots will be bigots. However, if we set the table by disentangling the religious and civil aspects of marriage, then in a generation or two, people will no longer think of them together. When you think about it, even if you get a justice of the peace to marry you, you still have to have a stupid ceremony! Most people want to, but why? It is a legal agreement. Why do you have to go into the court and do the whole "Do you"/"I do" bit? Why not just submit your paperwork and be officially recognized by the state as married? As long as you have a notarized document signed by both parties, that should be sufficient. (Yes, it would still need to be notarized, since forgery is still an option and you wouldn't want people to be able to bamboozle someone into being officially united with them without their knowledge because the other person forged the document. Not that it wouldn't be a crime to do so...)

If we did that, separated the ceremonial from the legal, then I believe that it would eventually lead to a world that had different views on the whole topic.

Oh, and the NC law does more than ban civil unions between gays and lesbians, it bans all civil unions, including heterosexual ones! So people who used to be considered married by common law (most states have common law marriage, where two people who live together in a marriage-like state for a long enough time have the majority of the legal rights of married couples.)

With people as stubborn as they are, I get the feeling that even if you completely separate the religious and legal aspects of marriage, and give it a different name for gays and lesbians, people will still try to pass laws to make it so it can't happen. Some people are just... foolish like that.
Yes, but I am thinking long term. If we change the system, the mindset will follow, eventually...
Now officially open: The Zen of ... blog! - check it out!

"Falling isn't flying. It's the landing that makes all the difference." - Immortal by Brad Yoder

"let's be lonely all together, that could be lovely, it would be better" - Famous by Brad Yoder

With a normal girl, you worship the ground she walks on. A Tsundere walks on the ground you worship!