Author Topic: Kim Dotcom Launches New File Sharing Site  (Read 122 times)

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
  • The green eyed monster strikes the Idol pics!
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
Kim Dotcom Launches New File Sharing Site
« on: January 20, 2013, 15:44 »
Kim Dotcom, founder of outlawed file-sharing website Megaupload, said his new "cyberlocker" was not revenge on U.S. authorities who planned a raid on his home, closed Megaupload and charged him with online piracy for which he faces jail if found guilty.

Dotcom said his new offering, Mega.co.nz, which will launch on Sunday even as he and three colleagues await extradition from New Zealand to the United States, complied with the law and warned that attempts to take it down would be futile.

Full Article Here

I'm actually excited about this. Considering how the charges brought against Megaupload seemed like a backlash paid for by the MPAA and the RIAA in the first place, I'm glad to see a new site come up that is made to be able to not be hit by either organization. The file encryption idea works for me; I kept several backups on my MU account that I wouldn't want people to able to poke around with, and being able to make them accessible to anyone but myself is a welcome change. Hopefully the new site will be up and running without any issues, and with no more interference from the millionaires upset about people blocking laws aimed at restricting Internet freedom.
Beware what hides in the Sunflower field

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline Cirno

• Scissors Queen
  • Baka Legend
  • Thanks 3
  • That photo must go!
    • View Profile
  • Nickname: Cirno
Re: Kim Dotcom Launches New File Sharing Site
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 07:19 »
I wonder if they'll try to find a way to get it taken down again.

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
  • The green eyed monster strikes the Idol pics!
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
Re: Kim Dotcom Launches New File Sharing Site
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 19:15 »
I wouldn't be surprised. I don't think they'll be able to this time around, though. Only reason they were able to pull it off last time was because one of MU's servers was located in the US. This time around, all the servers lie outside of the country, so that should remove anything the government can try to do about it.
Beware what hides in the Sunflower field