Author Topic: 'Golden Time' light novel series gets anime!  (Read 714 times)

Offline Zen

• Knowledge Connoisseur
  • Baka Hero
  • Thanks 4
  • Ear licking good!
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Perspectives Photography
'Golden Time' light novel series gets anime!
« on: March 18, 2013, 11:55 »
Golden Time, the latest light novel series by Yuyuko Takamiya, the author of Toradora! and Watashitachi no Tamura-kun has been green lit for anime.

The first two light novels in the series are translated at Baka-Tsuki. (Well, almost. The 4th chapter is 83% done on volume 2, and the only thing after that is the postscript, which is basically the author's note in Takamiya-sensei's novels.)

Here is a section of my post at Nabe about the series:
The romantic comedy light novel series follows the story of Tada Banri, an incoming freshman at a law school in Tokyo, who is starting college a year late due to an accident that resulted in his losing his personal memories from the first 18 years of his life. (To be clear, he still remembers stuff he learned in school, but doesn?t remember his friends and family at all.) The other main characters are:
Yanagisawa Mitsuo ? A fellow incoming freshman who becomes Banri?s first friend at college. He enrolled in this college partially as an attempt to get away from problems concerning ?the opposite sex?.

Kaga Kouko ? The member of the opposite sex that Mitsuo was trying to escape. She has a long range plan for the two of them to marry, regardless of Mitsuo?s opinion on the matter. She is pictured above, on the cover from Volume 1 of the series.

Hayashida Nana ? Better known as ?Linda?, she is a 2nd year student at the same college and seems to have known Banri in high school.

Banri?s Former Self ? In a departure from her previous work, this story features a supernatural aspect, in that the spirit, or ghost, of Tada Banri?s 18 year-old self that he can no longer remember is along for the ride, offering insight and sarcastic commentary on the plight of our frequently befuddled protagonist.

For a flavor of the series, here is the end of chapter 5 of volume 1, detailing the complex romantic complications that have developed by the end of that volume:  (I will put it in white text for those that don't want spoilers. Highlight to read easier.)

Tada Banri was looking at Linda.

The sports science lecture suddenly getting cancelled, amongst the students hurriedly breaking up, he spotted Linda's form. Linda noticed Banri's gaze too, and waved, "See you, Tada Banri." While Banri gazed at that face, he could not move. There was so much he wanted to ask her. But he could not. Not knowing her reason for keeping the secret, he didn't know what he did and didn't know. Wanting to ask her, "What? Do you have something?", Banri kept on looking at Linda's face still.

A beautiful girl, her long beautiful hair carefully done, was looking at the back of Banri's head. Her name is Kaga Kouko.

At Kouko's profile, with a complicated look, but hiding so as not to be discovered, a slightly sunburnt guy was watching. His name is Yanagisawa Mitsuo.

Behind Mitsuo, having noticed earlier where he was looking, a girl was thinking about whether or not to call out to him. Her name is Oka Chinami.

Though the familiar faces were present, though he had not taken sports science, another guy had come into the classroom. His name was Satou Takaya.

Passing through the background, like a dark shadow there was a woman. Her name, of course, is NANA.

My name is Tada Banri.

I've died, an eighteen year old boy.

Unnoticed by anyone, without anybody knowing, I've always watched after Tada Banri's affairs. I see everybody's affairs.

I'm sitting in the first seat behind, taking it easy, legs stretched out. Today the sunlight is really strong, and the classroom is warm, making everybody sleepy. While staring at the boring back of Banri's head, I find my eyes are closing by themselves. I'm getting awfully sleepy.

For now --- black-out.

For a bit of background, by this time Banri has fallen in love with Kouko and discovered that Linda was a very close friend, at LEAST, in high school. In addition, Kouko has thoroughly rejected by Mitsuo, who is interested in dating Chinami. The pentagonal nature of the set-up is fairly clear here. :)
Now officially open: The Zen of ... blog! - check it out!

"Falling isn't flying. It's the landing that makes all the difference." - Immortal by Brad Yoder

"let's be lonely all together, that could be lovely, it would be better" - Famous by Brad Yoder

With a normal girl, you worship the ground she walks on. A Tsundere walks on the ground you worship!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline Bonta-kun

• Baka Hero
  • Thanks 2
  • ゆーちゃん, かわいい です ね?
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
  • Nickname: Bonta-kun
The romantic comedy light novel series follows the story of Tada Banri, an incoming freshman at a law school in Tokyo, who is starting college a year late due to an accident that resulted in his losing his personal memories from the first 18 years of his life. (To be clear, he still remembers stuff he learned in school, but doesn?t remember his friends and family at all.)

I do not mean any offense but when I saw this section, it just reminded me of the light novel series of Toaru Majutsu no Index where the protagonist had the same experience.

当麻:結婚 しましょう。ミ一シャ:本当 に???

Offline Zen

• Knowledge Connoisseur
  • Baka Hero
  • Thanks 4
  • Ear licking good!
    • View Profile
I do not mean any offense but when I saw this section, it just reminded me of the light novel series of Toaru Majutsu no Index where the protagonist had the same experience.
The amnesiac character is a well worn trope. The interesting thing in Golden Time is what she does with it. The majority of the time, the amnesiac wants to regain his/her old memories. In Banri's case, he fears those old memories returning, because that would mean the end of the self he has become. There are several indications that he can tell by the way his parents and others who knew him before the accident treat him that his behavior is significantly different from before. In a very real sense, he is a new person, with different interests and a different outlook on life. He likes the life he is building for himself while living on his own in Tokyo, going to college, and in particular, getting to know Kouko. He fears that, at any time, his old self could return and erase his current existence. He also hates the constant feeling of rejection he feels from his family and others, as he gets the impression that they want the old Banri back and it makes him feel unwanted. The use of trope-defined characters, but with a level of depth beyond the norm, really makes the work stand out!

"Falling isn't flying. It's the landing that makes all the difference." - Immortal by Brad Yoder

"let's be lonely all together, that could be lovely, it would be better" - Famous by Brad Yoder

With a normal girl, you worship the ground she walks on. A Tsundere walks on the ground you worship!

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
  • The green eyed monster strikes the Idol pics!
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
  • Nickname: Genichiro
Have to admit, I don't think I've heard of a series where someone loses their memory, and they go out of their way to make sure they don't get it back.
Beware what hides in the Sunflower field

Offline Bonta-kun

• Baka Hero
  • Thanks 2
  • ゆーちゃん, かわいい です ね?
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
  • Nickname: Bonta-kun
That's true. For Touma's case, he is trying to move on with his life without his memories and reckons his memories are stowed away somewhere in his heart. Although, he does have the urge to recover his lost memories but isn't really too bothered about it. I will be looking out for this animation "Golden Time".

当麻:結婚 しましょう。ミ一シャ:本当 に???

Offline Zen

• Knowledge Connoisseur
  • Baka Hero
  • Thanks 4
  • Ear licking good!
    • View Profile
The translation of volume 2 is now complete at Baka-Tsuki, with the exception of the postscript, but the story portion is done. WOW! What a great series so far! I can't wait for the next installment!  There is another great trope turned on its ear in the final chapter, when one of the characters "borrows" a bike to chase after the other and then the police take the character away at the end for stealing the bike. The protagonist NEVER has to deal with the consequences of stealing a bike! LOL! I love it!