~Brigade Bar~ > Headline News

Aurora Shooting

<< < (2/3) > >>

Genichiro:
I really do have to wonder about a world that allows something like this to be possible. Something is wrong, somewhere down the line, and I can't even begin to take a guess at possible solutions.

Cirno:
People are the problem. Really, that's what it is. Even if the laws made it harder for people like Holmes to get guns, illegal dealers would fill the void, and we'd still have this kind of problem. I don't know how to solve that problem, though.

Genichiro:
If you ever find a way to solve that problem, let me know.

Found another article on his first appearance in court:

--- Quote ---The man accused of killing 12 moviegoers and wounding 58 more in Aurora, Colo., last week made his first appearance in court Monday morning.

James Holmes, a 24-year-old former doctoral student at the University of Colorado, Denver, has been held on first-degree murder charges in the July 20 shooting spree at a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises."
--- End quote ---

Full article here

Holmes looks rather pathetic sitting there, looking disoriented as he does. I'm not sure if he's planning on using a plea of insanity or not. His hair being dyed red would match up with claims of him believing himself to be the joker. I can't say how this is going to play out, but I don't think the victims and their families would be satisfied with him getting off on a declaration of insanity.

Cirno:
He doesn't look like someone facing the kind of charges he is; it's almost looks like he's trying to sleep through a class he doesn't care about, rather than getting ready to face first degree murder charges.

Genichiro:
Those thoughts are pretty much reciprocated by the article I read today:

--- Quote ---The prosecutor in the case of James Holmes, suspected in the shooting deaths of 12 moviegoers in Colorado, said Monday that the prosecution has an "enormous amount of evidence," but that she would not call it a "slam dunk."

"There is no such thing as a slam dunk case ... we would never presume that it would be a slam dunk. We will work very hard on this case to prosecute it," Arapahoe County District Attorney Carol Chambers said.
--- End quote ---

I suppose nothing is ever a "slam dunk," but insanity is the only way out of the death penalty for Holmes at this point. The man was caught in the act, still armed, still dangerous. It's really hard to say someone else did it in that situation, unless by some crazy coincidence, there was another person dressed exactly like him, with the exact same weapons, doing the exact same thing, and Holmes got caught before he could do it himself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version