Author Topic: Aurora Shooting  (Read 138 times)

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
  • The green eyed monster strikes the Idol pics!
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
Aurora Shooting
« on: July 21, 2012, 07:56 »

AURORA, Colo. ? As the new Batman movie played on the screen, a gunman dressed in black and wearing a helmet, body armor and a gas mask stepped through a side door. At first he was just a silhouette, taken by some in the audience for a stunt that was part of one of the summer's most highly anticipated films.

But then, authorities said, he threw gas canisters that filled the packed suburban Denver theater with smoke, and, in the confusing haze between Hollywood fantasy and terrifying reality, opened fire as people screamed and dove for cover.

Full article here

This whole tragedy is a nightmare, plain and simple. The people there were out trying to have a good time, getting the thrill of being the first to see the new movie, and then one sociopath murderer ends it all in a crazed attack, the motives of which are still unknown. If I had to guess, I'd say he had some kind of deep rooted problem that finally burst within the last few weeks, prompting him to plan out this attack. The fact that he had his apartment rigged with traps shows there was certainly planning involved. As for the gun control issue brought up in the video, laws can only do so much. They can make it harder for criminals to get their hands on weapons, but if they are committed to getting a weapon to kill, they will continue to try. Better laws couldn't hurt, but we do need to keep an eye on the socio-economic health of this country, as well.
Beware what hides in the Sunflower field

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline Cirno

• Scissors Queen
  • Baka Legend
  • Thanks 3
  • That photo must go!
    • View Profile
  • Nickname: Cirno
Re: Aurora Shooting
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 08:24 »
That guy is just plain sick! Just up and shooting people, and for no reason? All those people had to die, just because some guy wanted it? Ugh... this world and it's people... they just don't make sense sometimes.

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 01:25 »
The world really doesn't make sense some times. That's just how it is, I suppose. Maybe one day that will chance.

Found another article update yesterday:

Colorado shooting suspect James Holmes purchased 6,000 rounds of ammunition online, along with four guns at local stores, in the weeks leading up to the tragic event that claimed numerous lives and left dozens injured at a movie theater outside Denver.

At a news conference on Friday night, Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates said, "My understanding is all weapons he possessed, he possessed legally. All ammunition he possessed, he possessed legally."

Full article here

Now this is just plain nuts. All the weapons and ammunition he had, and it was all legal? I dunno, but something seems a little wrong with that. I mean, I understand we have rights to weapon possession, but this seems to be a tad on the extreme side. Perhaps they should add a mental evaluation to the requirements of purchasing arms? Something like that might actually help out in cases like this.

Offline Cirno

• Scissors Queen
  • Baka Legend
  • Thanks 3
  • That photo must go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:10 »
He had all those weapons legally? For real? How does that even work? That's just... someone should set up some kind of regulations to prevent that from happening!

Offline Zen

• Knowledge Connoisseur
  • Baka Hero
  • Thanks 4
  • Ear licking good!
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Perspectives Photography
  • Nickname: Zensunni
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 00:23 »
The world if flippn' nuts!
Now officially open: The Zen of ... blog! - check it out!

"Falling isn't flying. It's the landing that makes all the difference." - Immortal by Brad Yoder

"let's be lonely all together, that could be lovely, it would be better" - Famous by Brad Yoder

With a normal girl, you worship the ground she walks on. A Tsundere walks on the ground you worship!

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 07:15 »
I really do have to wonder about a world that allows something like this to be possible. Something is wrong, somewhere down the line, and I can't even begin to take a guess at possible solutions.

Offline Cirno

• Scissors Queen
  • Baka Legend
  • Thanks 3
  • That photo must go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 07:59 »
People are the problem. Really, that's what it is. Even if the laws made it harder for people like Holmes to get guns, illegal dealers would fill the void, and we'd still have this kind of problem. I don't know how to solve that problem, though.

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 19:55 »
If you ever find a way to solve that problem, let me know.

Found another article on his first appearance in court:

The man accused of killing 12 moviegoers and wounding 58 more in Aurora, Colo., last week made his first appearance in court Monday morning.

James Holmes, a 24-year-old former doctoral student at the University of Colorado, Denver, has been held on first-degree murder charges in the July 20 shooting spree at a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises."

Full article here

Holmes looks rather pathetic sitting there, looking disoriented as he does. I'm not sure if he's planning on using a plea of insanity or not. His hair being dyed red would match up with claims of him believing himself to be the joker. I can't say how this is going to play out, but I don't think the victims and their families would be satisfied with him getting off on a declaration of insanity.

Offline Cirno

• Scissors Queen
  • Baka Legend
  • Thanks 3
  • That photo must go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 08:07 »
He doesn't look like someone facing the kind of charges he is; it's almost looks like he's trying to sleep through a class he doesn't care about, rather than getting ready to face first degree murder charges.

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 20:52 »
Those thoughts are pretty much reciprocated by the article I read today:

The prosecutor in the case of James Holmes, suspected in the shooting deaths of 12 moviegoers in Colorado, said Monday that the prosecution has an "enormous amount of evidence," but that she would not call it a "slam dunk."

"There is no such thing as a slam dunk case ... we would never presume that it would be a slam dunk. We will work very hard on this case to prosecute it," Arapahoe County District Attorney Carol Chambers said.

I suppose nothing is ever a "slam dunk," but insanity is the only way out of the death penalty for Holmes at this point. The man was caught in the act, still armed, still dangerous. It's really hard to say someone else did it in that situation, unless by some crazy coincidence, there was another person dressed exactly like him, with the exact same weapons, doing the exact same thing, and Holmes got caught before he could do it himself.

Offline Cirno

• Scissors Queen
  • Baka Legend
  • Thanks 3
  • That photo must go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 07:27 »
I kinda want them to find him to be sane, so he can get penalized for what he did. Even if he does get insanity, his life will still be over.

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 01:27 »
At least the good thing is that I've heard that a lot of the hospitals are reducing or eliminating the costs for a lot of the victims, since a lot of them don't have insurance.