Author Topic: LA Superintendent Fires School's Entire Staff  (Read 59 times)

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
  • The green eyed monster strikes the Idol pics!
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
LA Superintendent Fires School's Entire Staff
« on: July 10, 2012, 18:58 »
LOS ANGELES -- Faced with a shocking case of a teacher accused of playing classroom sex games with children for years, Los Angeles schools Superintendent John Deasy delivered another jolt: He removed the school's entire staff -- from custodians to the principal -- to smash what he called a "culture of silence."

"It was a quick, responsible, responsive action to a heinous situation," he said. "We're not going to spend a long time debating student safety." The controversial decision underscores the 51-year-old superintendent's shake-up of the lethargic bureaucracy at the nation's second-largest school district. His swift, bold moves have rankled some and won praise from others during his first year of leadership.

Full article here

This is an interesting case. When I was first reading this one, I thought the punishment was a little harsh. Why fire the entire staff of a school to make a point; it's not all that likely that everyone knew and simply chose to remain silent. Then I read further down, and saw that it was an elementary school, and just what it was that that culprit was doing, as well as seeing that those not directly involved were given a second chance. Given the horrid act that prompted this, I'm not quite so bothered by Dr. Deasy's decision. He made a bold move, and I would say it was the correct move. He's right, we need more bold action right now to fix systems that are broken. Sitting back and waiting for change to come isn't going to do anything; one has to go out into the fields and take action against the problems plaguing our countries education system. As long as we have people like Dr. Deasy pushing for change for the sake of our children, we can place a little more faith in a future where all of our children can have a fair shot at the quality education they deserve. I agree with Dr. Deasy, it's a great thing to hear about students who are the first in their families to graduate from high school with a chance to seek out higher levels of education at the college level.
Beware what hides in the Sunflower field

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline Cirno

• Scissors Queen
  • Baka Legend
  • Thanks 3
  • That photo must go!
    • View Profile
  • Nickname: Cirno
What that teacher did to his students was horrible! That guy should be thrown in jail for what they did, then they should throw away the key. Dr. Deasy sounds like an awesome person, though. Sounds like the kind of person I would want to work with.

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
  • The green eyed monster strikes the Idol pics!
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
I can't remember much about the superintendent of schools I had. It feels like it's been forever and a day. I saw him a couple of times, I think, and I never really got to interact with him all that much. If I did, I certainly don't remember it all that well. Oh well, got my education taken care of, now if I could only put it to good use.
Beware what hides in the Sunflower field