Author Topic: Holder Voted in Contempt of Congress by House  (Read 85 times)

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
  • The green eyed monster strikes the Idol pics!
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
Holder Voted in Contempt of Congress by House
« on: June 28, 2012, 20:04 »
The House of Representatives has voted to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt of Congress by a vote of 255-67. One Democrat voted present. 17 Democrats voted for the resolution, while two Republicans voted against it.

Prior to the vote, some House Democrats walked out in protest.

The vote marked the first time a sitting Cabinet member has been held in contempt by the full House.

Full article here

Well, I can't say I'm surprised to see this come out of the house that's dominated by Republicans. This whole thing comes across as a big political move in an election year. Republicans have been doing everything they can to cause problems for the Democrat Party, from voting down every law born by Democrats, to spending millions of dollars in attack ads. If they were so concerned about justic for Brian Terry, they'd be looking for the bandits that shot him, not a man holding back documents for his beliefs in the security of the nation. I guess tracking the actual criminals would be too much like the right thing to do for Republicans.
Beware what hides in the Sunflower field

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline Cirno

• Scissors Queen
  • Baka Legend
  • Thanks 3
  • That photo must go!
    • View Profile
  • Nickname: Cirno
The Republicans are just mad that Obamacare passed. They have to do something to lash back, just like when the Department of Justice shutdown Megaupload the day after the SOPA/PIPA protest.

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
You know, you do have a point, there. I get the feeling the would have voted to put Holder in contempt, regardless, though. Anyway, an update:

WASHINGTON -- Attorney General Eric Holder won't be prosecuted for being in contempt of Congress because he is insulated by President Barack Obama's use of executive privilege, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Friday.

House Republicans voted Thursday to hold the attorney general in contempt of Congress -- a historical first -- for failing to provide certain documents they sought relating to the Justice Department's botched Fast and Furious operation. The vote came after months of threats by Republicans warning they would make the dramatic move if Holder didn't give them the documents they wanted, without condition, a process that Democrats and the administration have dismissed as a political stunt. In the end, President Barack Obama invoked executive privilege and directed Holder not to release certain documents for legal reasons. The contempt vote happened anyway.

Full article here

This only further shows just how much the move to place Holder in contempt is all about politics, and has nothing to do with the tragic death of Brian Terry. The Department of Justice won't do a thing to holder, because of Obama's use of Executive Privilege, and even then, it's unlikely they would have done anything, anyway. All this has shown to everyone is how desperate the Republican party has become to score any kind of political points they can. I hope that this shows voters that Republicans care only about maintaining their power, and very little for the people they are supposed to represent.

Offline Cirno

• Scissors Queen
  • Baka Legend
  • Thanks 3
  • That photo must go!
    • View Profile
At least nothing is going to happen to him. It's not like Holder is being stubborn for no reason. It's all bad politics, this whole thing.

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
Yeah; the Republicans are probably hoping to make a bigger issue out of this than it really is. I'd say they aren't doing too hot a job, because the only reason why it's crossing my mind right now is because I saw this thread.

Offline Cirno

• Scissors Queen
  • Baka Legend
  • Thanks 3
  • That photo must go!
    • View Profile
I'm not really thinking about it, either. It happened, and it's done. Meh...