Author Topic: Ancient Greek Road Revealed During Subway Work  (Read 78 times)

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
  • The green eyed monster strikes the Idol pics!
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
Ancient Greek Road Revealed During Subway Work
« on: June 26, 2012, 19:07 »
THESSALONIKI, Greece ? Archaeologists in Greece's second-largest city have uncovered a 70-meter (230-foot) section of an ancient road built by the Romans that was city's main travel artery nearly 2,000 years ago.

The marble-paved road was unearthed during excavations for Thessaloniki's new subway system, which is due to be completed in four years. The road in the northern port city will be raised to be put on permanent display when the metro opens in 2016.

Full article here

I love seeing awesome stuff like this! As part of my education in architecture, I learned a bit about ancient Greek and ancient Roman architecture. I'll admit I had a bigger love for Roman architecture, but I still enjoyed Greek architecture. Then again, this was built by the Romans; the road built by the Greeks below it wasn't shown. It's amazing how a road for over two thousand years ago matches up with a modern day road in the city of Thessaloniki. I'm glad to hear they are going to elevate the road and put it on display, instead of breaking it up for the sake of the subway project. History should be preserved for future generations, after all.
Beware what hides in the Sunflower field

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline Cirno

• Scissors Queen
  • Baka Legend
  • Thanks 3
  • That photo must go!
    • View Profile
  • Nickname: Cirno
That's amazing! The things you find when you go digging. It's like making these subways in the cities have given everyone a chance to see things they wouldn't normally, since it's usually a bad idea to go digging under a city.

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
  • The green eyed monster strikes the Idol pics!
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
This is true; archaeologists rarely get a chance to see the ruins beneath major cities; subway construction has given them a rare opportunity they would not have had otherwise. :grin:
Beware what hides in the Sunflower field