Author Topic: Chihayafuru 2nd season confirmed!  (Read 242 times)

Offline Zen

• Knowledge Connoisseur
  • Baka Hero
  • Thanks 4
  • Ear licking good!
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Perspectives Photography
Chihayafuru 2nd season confirmed!
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:12 »
The latest volume of the Chihayafuru manga has confirmed that a 2nd season of the popular TV anime about Chihaya and her karuta playing friends has been green-lit!

If you haven't seen this one, I highly suggest it. Here is the synopsis from MAL:
Chihaya is a lighthearted tomboy, who's not especially good at anything in particular. Her dream has always been for her sister (an aspiring model) to become the number one beauty of Japan, or perhaps of the world. But then one day she meets someone who tells her that a dream is something that should concern only herself - and something she has to work hard for as well.

At the same time, Chihaya discovers a passion for the old Japanese game hyakunin isshu, also called "karuta".
This synopsis is about the basis of the show, which is told via flashback episodes early in the series. The show mostly takes place when Chihaya has started her first year of High School, and is widely perceived by the other students as "beauty in vain". This is because, despite the fact that she has the same "model" looks as her older sister, she is fixated on what most people think of as a kids game (Karuta) and is generally considered a bit of a weirdo. Karuta is a game used as an educational tool in late elementary and middle school, but also has a competitive version that is played in tournaments and has a ranking system for the skill level of the players.

There are some romantic sub-plots in the show, and they are very fun and a big part of what makes the show special, but they are really secondary. The characters are what makes the show really great!

No word yet on the staff for the new anime or the release schedule.
Now officially open: The Zen of ... blog! - check it out!

"Falling isn't flying. It's the landing that makes all the difference." - Immortal by Brad Yoder

"let's be lonely all together, that could be lovely, it would be better" - Famous by Brad Yoder

With a normal girl, you worship the ground she walks on. A Tsundere walks on the ground you worship!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline Shini44

• I am CoOoL
  • Junior Baka
  • Thanks 0
    • View Profile
  • Nickname: Shini44
Re: Chihayafuru 2nd season confirmed!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:55 »
i liked the 1st one a lot and hope that the 2nd one will be as good as it or better if they can :P

Offline Zen

• Knowledge Connoisseur
  • Baka Hero
  • Thanks 4
  • Ear licking good!
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Perspectives Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:29 »
i liked the 1st one a lot and hope that the 2nd one will be as good as it or better if they can :P
Maybe it will take Chihya all the way to being the Queen? (I doubt that the manga is there yet, since that would be, like, the end...)

I bought the first two manga volumes in the bilingual edition a while back, my first purchase of manga from Japan. It cost a bit, but they are beautiful. I haven't had time to read them yet though...
Now officially open: The Zen of ... blog! - check it out!

"Falling isn't flying. It's the landing that makes all the difference." - Immortal by Brad Yoder

"let's be lonely all together, that could be lovely, it would be better" - Famous by Brad Yoder

With a normal girl, you worship the ground she walks on. A Tsundere walks on the ground you worship!

Offline SaiteiOni

• Junior Baka
  • Thanks 0
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
  • Nickname: oni
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 05:15 »
this is a big yay for me
i havent been keeping up with anything but this i would watch, season one was sugoi