Author Topic: Syria Massacre, Assad Rejects Visit  (Read 114 times)

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
  • The green eyed monster strikes the Idol pics!
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
Syria Massacre, Assad Rejects Visit
« on: May 27, 2012, 20:33 »
CAIRO (AP) -- A senior Arab League official says Syria has denied permission for a deputy of U.N.-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan to travel to Damascus.

The official says Syria made clear that the decision against former Palestinian foreign minister Nasser al-Kidwa is not personal, but rather because it did not want to deal with the Arab League.

Full Article Here

It seems another unfortunate incident has taken place in the Middle East. The worst of this incident being the number of children that lost their lives, and then the Syrian army rejects claims of responsibility when there is evidence that shows otherwise. At this point, I could believe it was the army as much as I could believe it was terrorists posing as members of the army to spread confusion and ignite a civil war. I'm not an investigative expert, so I can't say for sure one way or the other. I can say that a civil war would be the worst outcome. It may finally lead to an end of Assad's reign, but it would also lead to many, many deaths, which could be prevented if a diplomatic approach could be taken. At this rate, though, I have to wonder if this can be resolved without the kind of conflicts we've seen take place in Libya and elsewhere in the region.
Beware what hides in the Sunflower field

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline Cirno

• Scissors Queen
  • Baka Legend
  • Thanks 3
  • That photo must go!
    • View Profile
  • Nickname: Cirno
Re: Syria Massacre, Assad Rejects Visit
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 07:41 »
Assad saying he didn't do it? Am I surprised? Nope~

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 19:32 »
Here's an update:

BEIRUT ? Eyewitness accounts from the Syrian massacre emerged Tuesday, describing shadowy gunmen slaughtering whole families in their homes and targeting the most vulnerable in poor farming villages. Western nations expelled Syrian diplomats in a coordinated move against President Bashar Assad's regime over the killing of more than 100 people.

U.N. special envoy Kofi Annan met with Assad in Damascus to try to salvage what was left of a peace plan, which since being brokered six weeks ago has failed to stop any of the violence on the ground.

Full Article Here

The Shabiha sound a little too convenient for Assad. They can go about and do whatever they want, and Assad can just write them off as just doing their own thing, even if they are acting favorably towards his own goals. With such a group working for Assad, it'll make things that much more difficult in removing him. Since they aren't acting directly under Assad, they'll likely continue the violence if he's removed. A peace plan is the best approach, but finding a way to disband the Shabiha would be a good idea as well.

Offline Cirno

• Scissors Queen
  • Baka Legend
  • Thanks 3
  • That photo must go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 07:20 »
They do sound a little too convenient. I really hope they find peace over there.

Offline Genichiro

• Master of the Sword
  • Administrator
  • Thanks 5
    • View Profile
    • Tondemonai Fansubs
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 19:50 »
Update

BEIRUT, June 4 (Reuters) - Syrian rebels killed at least 80 army soldiers in a surge of attacks at the weekend, an opposition watchdog said on Monday, carrying out their threat to resume fighting if President Bashar al-Assad failed to observe a U.N.-backed ceasefire.

The May 25 massacre of at least 108 people, nearly half of them children, in the Houla area of Homs province dealt a possibly fatal blow to envoy Kofi Annan's proposed ceasefire, which was supposed to take effect on April 12 but never did.

Full Article Here

Looks like things are getting even worse in Syria. It's not surprising to see rebel attacks continue after the massacre at the end of last month. Nothing Assad can say will make his regime appear innocent in the massacre, leaving the rebel forces to draw the only conclusion they will acknowledge. While Russia and China might have continued hope for the Annan plan, it's becoming less and less realistic as the violence continues in Syria. If there is a time for a miracle in this mess, now would be that time. At the point, I believe the best choice of action for Assad would be to step down of his own accord, lest he be brought down through violence.

Offline Cirno

• Scissors Queen
  • Baka Legend
  • Thanks 3
  • That photo must go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 06:56 »
It would be nice if a peaceful solution could be reached, but it's getting less and less likely.